Tuesday, February 17, 2009

University of North Carolina newspaper faces bomb threat, still makes deadline

Meeting a newspaper deadline is one of the hardest things that all newspapers deal with.

Working for The Campus Voice I have had to deal with layout deadlines where  the newspaper staff had to stay in the office until 3 or 4 in the morning.  It is rough but it proves to be worth it.

For The Daily Tar Heel, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's daily newspaper, they faced a deadline with extra stress added into the mix.

UNC faced a bomb threat, later proven to be false, and was forced to evacuate several buildings, including the building that housed the school newspaper.  However, The Daily Tar Heel wouldn't let that stop them.  Their volunteer student staff of about 50 evacuated their office and wandered outside with laptops while using Twitter as a way to send out breaking news coverage of the bomb threat.

Also while outside, the staff continued to work on both the print and web editions of their next issue.

After the students were allowed back into the office, they immediately went to work of sending in, compiling, and printing all of the stories.

"We got back in at 3:30 a.m. and got it to the printer by 5 a.m," said the Daily Tar Heel's editor-in-chief, Allison Nichols.

One journalism blogger commented that the newspaper deserves an award, after getting a well-deserved nap.

I am encouraged to see student journalists proving their snuff by working vigorously and professionally on their newspapers.

5 comments:

  1. Thats pretty ambitious of them obviously. But, I would be more worried about myself and maybe victims rather than a school perodical. People, including myself need to get back to basics and start caring more about 'people' rather than things. It's cool that people are conciously working on the news and getting it out there but I still think I would be more worried on my surroundings during a bomb threat before I was worried about my work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's dedication. It's interesting to see that there are promising editors, journalists, and writers in the making that are dedicated to reporting the news, no matter how sticky the situation they're in may get. It's good to read those kinds of things in life. It gives me hope for the future generations of people.

    I need to read the newspaper more often, but so much of it seems so negative, that sometimes it's hard to get into.

    Great post!!

    Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sound like pure dedication to me at a young age at that!! Instead of them scurrying home in fear of the bomb they lingered around to get the job done.

    These are the type of individuals who are destined to have a bright future in their future careers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is inspiring! To face possible danger to finish a deadline. I'm glad to hear that they are all ok and did not have to deal with any tragedies.

    As far as needing to care about people more than things, they worked from their laptops to get their stuff done, and I think even if they were at home working on their stuff, they were looking to get their features and news out that they've worked hard on.

    I only hope to some day work with people like these, who are so driven to get their stuff taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are really dedicated. But personally I would be more concerned about my safety and the safeties of others before I would want make a deadline. I am very proud to know that we have people dedicated to their job like that.

    I am glad to hear it was only a threat and nothing more than that.

    ReplyDelete